Marsha’s own journey has involved great change and personal growth. Having raised her children, she completed an undergraduate degree in Religion and Ministry. After training as a hospital chaplain, Marsha went on to earn a Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy with advanced clinical training in Medical Family Therapy.
With a lifelong fascination with healing and the human body, Marsha longed to integrate her education with what was in her heart. After working for several years in public mental health, she developed a successful private practice in Davidson, NC. She realized that many people struggled with issues related to sexuality so she then began the lengthy process of training and supervision which led to her certification as a sex therapist by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists. Marsha was learning to listen and trust the body more as a source of wisdom for healing and wholeness. She further pursued her calling as a healer and became a student of Hawaiian shamanism with Hank Wesselman and Jill Kuykendall as her teachers. Marsha has traveled and studied mindfulness practices in India and Thailand, at Duke Integrative Medicine and with various western teachers. She has been integrating these ancient teachings and practices into her healing work for the last several years. As an ordained interspiritual minister, she honors all faiths and spiritual practices and serves as officiant for weddings and memorial services.
The vision for Marsha’s professional work has evolved from her personal journey and her desire to be a catalyst for healing and awakening. “To help someone remember her or his true nature, to restore harmony within oneself and between self and others, to live in love toward all beings – that is the essence of my calling as a healer.” Integrating western therapies and ancient wisdom, Marsha is guided by her compassion and her desire to be of service. Marsha’s clients say that her calm open presence fosters an environment of trust, safety and comfort for them which enables them to address issues that are sometimes very difficult to discuss. This acceptance provides them opportunity to heal and develop a greater degree of peace and fulfillment in life and relationships.
A partial listing of Marsha’s professional training and experience includes:
- AASECT-certified Sex Therapist / Supervisor and NC licensed Marriage and Family Therapist providing relationship and sex therapy for men, women and couples.
- Facilitator/coach for intensive enrichment training for couples on relationships and intimacy.
- Medical Family Therapist skilled in working with individuals and families who are dealing with serious medical illness and death.
- Ordained Interspiritual Minister offering respectful spiritual support for people of all faiths and beliefs. Trained as Clinical Chaplain.
- Trained in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction at Duke Integrative Medicine.
- Ongoing student and practitioner of wisdom tradition, transpersonal and mindfulness practices.
- Instructor and Supervisor in the Counseling Psychology Program at Prescott College, Prescott, Arizona. Mentored courses offered include Human Sexuality, Sexual Disorders, Advanced Couple and Family Theories, Advanced Couple and Family Skills, Medical Family Therapy, Death, Dying and Bereavement, Transpersonal Psychology, Rituals and Healing, and Mindfulness.